I’ll admit I wasn’t a big smoothie fan before. From my point of view, anything that wasn’t meant to be chewed, wasn’t meant to be called breakfast. In the morning, I needed a crunch, something to really set my teeth in and get the day started.
That was until about a year ago and I had no intention of changing my opinion. Until I couldn’t eat ‘normal’ food for a while and I had to resort to fluid food (even when writing this down, I’m still so very relieved that period didn’t last long!).
And this is when it happened, I discovered I actually like smoothies! You might say ‘duh.. what’s not to like!’ but for me this was a real eye-opener. And I have not looked back since. I’ve been experimenting with different fruits and flavours (I’ve posted some of them here, see the list on the bottom of this post!). I haven’t started making smoothies with vegetables (the idea of spinach in the morning is just not that attractive to me), but after my change of hearts regarding smoothies for breakfast, I’m never saying never again (at least when talking smoothies!).
This breakfast smoothie with toasted quinoa was one of my most liked pics on Instagram (and if you’re not following me there, you definitely should!) so I had to share the recipe. I’m still a fan of a little bit of crunch, and that’s why I’ve sprinkled some toasted quinoa on top. This sounds difficult, but it’s real easy and it tastes a bit like popcorn! Now if that doesn’t cheer up your monday mornings, nothing will.
Other smoothie recipes you might like:
Grapefruit and raspberry smoothie
Green power smoothie with avocado, banana and coconut
Beet juice smoothie
- 1 tbsp of uncooked quinoa
- ½ avocado
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- 100 ml coconut drink (thinner than regular coconut milk, I buy the brand Alpro)
- 2 dates, de-pitted and cut in halves
- Heat a pan over medium heat and toast the quinoa until it starts to pop, they change colour and there's a fragrant smell. Be sure to cover the pan with a lid, just like popcorn, quinoa jumps out of the pan when it starts popping!
- Blend the avocado, yogurt, coconut drink and dates until smooth and creamy
- Sprinkle toasted quinoa on top and enjoy!