I don’t know about you, but I’m really slow in the morning. I need a lot of time to get ready for the day and I spend a big chunk of that time eating. I know a lot of people who say they can’t eat early in the morning, but I’m definitely not one of them.
I almost always wake up hungry, and leaving the house without breakfast is something I can’t bear myself to do. My mother always told me the breakfast is the most important meal you have, ‘ the engine of the day!’. And given the fact that I get incredibly cranky when I don’t have a good breakfast, I’m inclined to agree with her.
And a bowl of greek yoghurt with homemade granola is what I call a good breakfast. Not to mention very practical on weekdays when you have to hurry (because you hit the snooze button just one time too many…).
My dear friend M. gave me the idea for this granola (thanks again M!). It’s great because you can throw in whatever you like, if you like coconut like my boyfriend, throw in some ground coconut. If you prefer something else, leave it out. Make your own favorite mix and enjoy your homemade easy breakfast.
- 100 gr (1 cup and 2 tbs) of oats
- 30 gr (1/6 cup) of agave syrup*
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of cardamom
- 1 tbsp of oil (preferably no olive oil, it's better to use a more neutral one)
- 100 gr (2/3 cup) of mixed unsalted nuts
- 50 gr (1/3 cup) of dried cranberries
- 50 gr (1/3 cup) of raisins
- 25 gr (1/3 cup) of ground coconut
- Preheat the oven to 150 C (302 F)
- Mix the oats, oil, 15 gr of the agave syrup and the spices together in a big bowl
- Take a piece of baking paper and put it on a tray
- Spread out the oats evenly on the paper, make sure the layer is not too thick
- Take the nuts and mix them with the other 15 gr of agave syrup
- Place them on the tray with the oats
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Take out and mix in the cranberries, raisins and ground coconut
- Store in an airtight container, it keeps for weeks!